''Paavaikai'...once we hear this, we tend to lose our interest in having food that day. :)
Even I felt like that initially. The main problem comes with the bitterness taste. But if this fry is made in a proper way, then you will cook this daily because it will be so tasty!! Try and give your comments about how it came out...
Oil - 2 tsp
Chana Dal - 2 tsp
4-5 medium sized bitter gourds
Onions - 3 tsp(cut to small pieces)
Garlic - 3-4(cut to small pieces) ----- optional
Salt - 1 tsp
Chilli Powder - 2 tsp
Turmeric - a pinch
Corainder powder - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - as needed
- Wash and cut the bitter gourd to small pieces. Now add salt and mix well and keep aside for 20-25 mins.
- Now add oil in a pan, once hot, add mustard seeds, chana dal, once chana dal becomes slightly brown, add onions, garlic and mix well.. wait till onions become light brown.
- Now add the bitter gourd pieces and mix well.Close the pan and cook this for 5-7 mins., stirring in between.
- Now add chilly, turmeric and corainder powder, mix and fry for 5 more mins.
- Add little water if necessary. Cook till tender.
Points to be noted:
- Salt should be mixed with bitter gourd pieces in advance (around 20 mins) so that the pieces lose the bitterness to an extent.