Whenever I feel that there is no time to start cooking sambar/rasam etc, I go for recipes that doesn't consume much time. Preparation of rice varieties are very useful in these situations. Tomato rice is our favorite and easy to make. Without fennel seeds, ginger and garlic I cannot imagine tomato rice. These ingredients make this rice more tastier.
3 Medium sized tomatoes - cut into small pieces
Ginger garlic paste - 1 spoon
Mustard seeds - 1 spoon
fennel seeds - 2 spoons
Cumin seeds - 1 spoon
Curry leaves - few
Chilly powder - 1 spoon
Coriander powder - 2 spoons
Onion - 4 spoons (cut into pieces)
Green chillies - 4 to 5(cut lenghtwise)
Turmeric - 1/4 spoon
Salt - 1 spoon
Tamarind Extract - 2-3 spoons
oil - 3 spoons(or ghee)
Cooked Rice - 1 cup ( I used plain rice, basmathi rice is also tastier)
- In a pan add oil, once hot add mustard, fennel, cumin seeds, green chillies, curry leaves and saute for 2 mins.
- Then add onions, wait till it becomes pinkish. Now add turmeric.
- Then add the tomatoes, chilly, coriander powders with little water till the raw smell of tomatoes and powders goes off. Add salt and mix well.
- Atlast add the tamarind extract and mix well and let this boil for 5 more mins.
(This paste also works great as a side dish for chapathis/parathaas/dosas.)
- Once tomato paste(thokku) is done, add in the already cooked(should be at room temperature) rice and mix well with thokku.
Spicy Tomato rice is ready....!!! Onion Raita can be used as a side dish for this rice...