Ingredients:Rice Flour - 6 cups
Urad Dhal Flour - 1 cup
Curry leaves - few
salt - to taste
White Sesame seeds - 2 spoons
Asafoetida - 1/4 spoon
Chilly powder - 2 spoons or to your spice level
Soaked Channa Dal - 2 spoons(soak it for half hour in hot water and use it)
Oil - for deep fry
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl, add little water at a time and make a firm dough. Add little oil at the end for smoothness but this is optional.
- Rest this for 5 mins.
- Now make small lemon size balls out of it.
- Meanwhile heat the oil for deep frying in a frying pan.
- Now take a plastic sheet greased with oil. place one ball on it, and press well (by hand or using the base tip of stainless steel cup) to make a small circle. It should not be too thin/thick.
- Do this for the remaining balls.
- Grease more oil on the plastic sheet if you feel its sticky.
- Now deep fry them in oil until brown on both sides.
- If the sound of frying in the oil reduces rapidly, you can take out the thattais and drain them in paper towel. Check whether they are crunchy and not soft.
- Once they cool down, place them in a container.
You can also reduce the amount of flour used to make them less in quantity but the ratio should be 1:6-----Urad Dhal Flour:Rice Flour.
For making Urad Dhal Flour - Just take 1 cup of urad dhal, dry roast in a pan until light brown,cool off and grind into powder.
Sending this to "Deep Fried Snacks" event hosted by Tickling Palates.